Here are some basic similarities and differences between two popular coffee drinks: Cappuccino and Latte.
1) Both coffee drinks are Italian ways of preparing coffee with steamed milk.
2) Cappuccino is widely preferred and is available in restaurants all over the world. Cappuccinos are more popular than Lattes because they are cheaper.
3) With a Cappuccino, the ratio between steamed milk and milk foam is the same. A Latte has more foam and more milk than a Cappuccino. A Latte is prepared with 1/4 espresso, 2/4 steamed milk, and 2/4 of milk foam on top. Flavors are also sometimes added. A Cappuccino is prepared with 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk and a 1/3 milk foam.
4) A Cappuccino has a stronger taste than a Latte.
5) A seven or eight ounce cup is normally used to serve Latte where as a six to seven ounce porcelain cup is used to serve Cappuccino
Cappuccinos are widely preferred and are available in restaurants all over the world. Lattes are not available in all restaurants and are generally found only in specialty coffee shops. As Lattes are generally less widely available, you should check to see if the restaurant you are dining in makes this special coffee.
Here is how a classic Cappuccino is served
And here is how a Latte drink looks like